Crafters Basic Tool Kit

Have you ever been invited to a cardmaking workshop or wanted to attend a class at your local stamping store? Many times you're told to bring your favorite crafting tool. But if you're new to card making - just what does that mean?
I've been making cards for years, but since I did it on my own, I had no idea what it meant to "bring my favorite tools". So, for some of you newbies and not so newbies out there, this is for you!

Here's what you need:

  • Scissors: It's a good idea to bring two different kinds if you can. You'll likely really only need small detail scissors, but a larger pair could also come in handy.
  • Pencil: No explanation really needed, but this comes in handy for positioning items.
  • Adhesive: Your kit should contain both a wet and dry adhesive. Dry adhesive consists of runner dots or tape. I like Tombow Adhesive. I try to use permanent, but if you have room, positionable table can be helpful, especially if you're a novice. I also always bring a glue pen like the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen. It's great for small surfaces and works well if you're working with tiny die cuts.  Tombow Mono Aqua  is also a good alternative.
  • On the subject of adhesive, you should also bring some 3D Foam Tape/Adhesive. This can come in the form of dots, squares or rectangles. Shape doesn't matter, buy only what you prefer. This helps lift items like sentiments or images off the paper and adds dimension.

  • Tweezers are a must-have for me. It's something most people don't think about, but I almost always pull them out when I am in a class. They really help when you're working with small items like dots or sequins. 
  • Bone Folder: Not vital, but this is a great tool for creating crisp folds and creases.
  • Craft Knife: This is another non-essential but always helpful item. There's always some little item clinging to a die cut or some item that has a lot of detail and all you need is this little guy to make a difference.
  • Paper Trimmer/Paper Cutter: These come in vastly different styles and colors. I have several. I have a Martha Stewart, Fiskars and a Creative Memories. Just find one that works for you. I suggest getting a small, portable one to keep in your mobile kit. 
  • Cutting Mat: These come in many forms, but the best is a self-healing mat. The mat helps prevent you from making nicks and scratches on the tabletop.



If this seems like a lot,  it is. My suggestion is to start from the top of the list and work down. As you get lower in the list, the items become less essential, at least in my opinion. You'll feel comfortable going into any situation with at least scissors and adhesive. Once you get the hang of it, you'll figure out what tools you like best. Your needs will also really depend on what you're going to be making. For instance - you may need to bring copic marker if you're going to be coloring.
Of course, you can buy all of these items here or at any craft store!

What tools are essential in your kit?

Comments

Popular Posts